Friday 7 December 2007

CRIG Meeting Day 2 (1)

It's first thing on day two. I'm late because I have to get all the way across town, which takes a surprisingly long time in London. I should have just stayed at a nearby hotel. Oh well.

The remainder of yesterday was interesting. Scope for live blogging is difficult, as the conference is extremely mobile. Today I will have to pick a point and hide in a corner to get you up to date.

In the afternoon we discussed the CRIG scenarios, and then implemented something called a Dotmocracy, which involves sticking dots (like house points at school) next to topics which appeared which we were interested in. When we start up today, the first order of business will be to see what topics made the cut. From what I saw at the end of the day, this will include Federated Searching, Google Search, and package deconstruction (my personal favourite this week).

As a brief aside, one running theme has been "no more standards". As it happens, I disagree with this. We're never going to get everything thinking the same and working the same. That's why there are so many standards, and why new ones get made all the time. It's the way of the world. At least, with a standard, though, when you have implemented one, you at least have a way of telling people what you did, over the home grown undocumented solutions which are the alternative.

Right, I suppose I'd better get my skates on.

No comments: